Wednesday 22 October 2014

Silent Speed Ball - How to Play

Silent Speed Ball
A GREAT GAME FOR TEACHERS

This game is pretty easy.  It's a great game for filling extra time in the classroom and winding your students down at the end of a busy day.  Kids love this game.  I've played it from Kindergarten to Grade 6 and it's always a hit.


The rules are simple:

  • Everyone stands behind their chair or in a circle (for younger students)
  • No one can talk, but you
  • Students take turns tossing a ball (I use a squishy stress-type ball) underhand to each other
  • They have to sit down if: they miss the ball (needs to be a good throw), throw overhand, hold the ball for more than 3 seconds, or miss the ball (it has to be a good throw - you decide)
  • Near the end of the game, I often implement a 1 second holding rule.  
  • If they miss the ball, I give them one throw before they sit down (this really helps to eliminate any tantrums).  If they talk too much while sitting or are misbehaving, I tell them that only students who are sitting quietly will get the play the next game
Note: I do not give out prizes.  If students ask what they get for winning, I tell them a high five or the knowledge that they made it to the end of the game this time.  I think it's very important for students to increase their intrinsic motivation
  

4 comments: